Benefits of membership of the Calligraphy and Lettering Arts Society:
- Five issues of the CLAS 24-page colour magazine The EDGE each year
- Occasional inserts on how to write calligraphic scripts
- CLASNews – frequent e-mail newsletter to keep you in touch with the very latest calligraphy and related exhibitions, new books, events and so on (remember to include your e-mail address on your application form for this)
- Free entry to the CLAS annual Art and the Letter Exhibition
- An invitation to enter work for the CLAS Living Letters exhibitions
- News of exhibitions, courses and conferences of interest in The EDGE and on the website
- Discounts when buying calligraphy goods from L Cornelissen and Son as part of the AGM attendance package
- 10% discount in the British Library Bookshop as part of the CLAS AGM attendance package
Your subscription year runs from the month you join. Members joining from overseas will also have to pay a surcharge to cover airmail postage.
The annual UK membership fee is £39 (but for credit card and PayPal this is increased to £42 to cover the fees associated with this form of payment). Those in full-time education in the UK are eligible for the special student rate of £29; this concession starts in September and finishes the following August, reflecting the academic year. There is an additional Air Mail surcharge of £6 for members in the EEC making a total of £45 and £11 for members outside the EEC making a total of £50.
Please print out the application form in the pdf-file below and send it to CLAS, 54 Boileau Road, London SW13 9BL, UK. Overseas applicants may attach it to an e-mail sent to with the subject "New member".
THIS FORM IS FOR A NEW CLAS MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION ONLY. PLEASE DO NOT USE IT TO RENEW AN EXISTING MEMBERSHIP.
New members please note, nothing can be sent to you until you have sent us your application form even if we have received payment.
- For a limited period only:
As a special offer to all new CLAS members L Cornelissen and Son Ltd www.cornelissen.com are selling a set of Schmincke Calligraphy Gouache (13 metallic tubes of 20 ml paints in a special wooden box with an instruction leaflet) for £60 plus p+p. Normal retail price £95.
- Total price for CLAS UK members: £65
Total price for CLAS EEC members. £70
Total price for CLAS non-EEC members: £75
- To take advantage of this once-in-a-lifetime offer please use the special Schmincke Calligraphy Gouache order form you receive with your joining pack
There are now several ways you can pay your annual subscription.
Direct Debits: For UK residents or those with a UK bank account this is our preferred method of payment for subscriptions. To set up a direct debit click here. You payment will not be taken until the 28th of the month.
Direct bank transfer: If you are happy to pay this way email our membership secretary and she will send you bank details and, importantly, a reference code for you to use. When you set your payment up please do not forget to insert this code when you are asked for a reference. Do not insert any other words such as "subscription". If you also want to include a donation please just add it to your subscription and we will understand what the extra is for.
Cheques: Banks will not be phasing out cheques and we are still happy to accept them.
Credit cards and PayPal: If a cheque is not possible then we can accept credit card payments.
To renew your membership by credit card or PayPal click here to go to our new, easy-to-complete payments page.
The Calligraphy and Lettering Arts Society, 54 Boileau Road, London SW13 9BL England